Founded in 1905 as the Institute of Musical Art
The School was named for Augustus Juilliard, a wealthy textile merchant whose bequest was used to establish the Juilliard Graduate School in 1924. In 1926, it merged with the Institute for Musical Art to become the Juilliard School of Music. With the additions of a Dance Division in 1951 and Drama Division in 1968, the name was shortened to The Juilliard School.
326 College Division faculty members (2015-16)
Undergraduate Applicants to the College Division
2,597 (fall 2015)
Students in the College Division
855 students from 39 countries, with an undergraduate enrollment of 490 (2015-16)
Juilliard alumni have collectively won more than 105 Grammy Awards, 62 Tony Awards, 47 Emmy Awards, 26 Bessie Awards, 24 Academy Awards, 16 Pulitzer Prizes, and 12 National Medals for the Arts.
Peter Jay Sharp Theater (907 seats)
Paul Recital Hall (275 seats)
Morse Recital Hall (125 seats)
Stephanie P. McClelland Drama Theater (195 seats)
Rosemary and Meredith Willson Theater (98 seats)
Harold and Mimi Steinberg Drama Studio (70 seats)
Library and Juilliard Manuscript Collection
Juilliard’s Lila Acheson Wallace Library contains more than 79,000 scores; 25,000 books; and 26,000 sound recordings.
The Juilliard Manuscript Collection, comprised of 140 composer autographs, sketches, and annotated first editions, is one of the most important collections of musical source materials in the world.
Stringed Instrument Collection
Juilliard has a collection of more than 200 high-quality stringed instruments available for students to borrow, including four violins by Guarneri del Gesù, two violins by Antonio Stradivari, and a Stradivari cello.
Juilliard maintains an inventory of 275 Steinway pianos, the largest collection under one roof of any institution in the world.