Frequently Asked Questions


I’m applying to The Juilliard School. When should I begin the Financial Aid application process?

Financial aid applications are generally available by January 1 each year. However, applicants with pre-screening or callback requirements are strongly encouraged to wait to apply for aid until February, after they receive these results. The priority deadline is March 1.

Back to Top

How do I apply for financial aid?

The Financial Aid Application consists of several components, which are due by March 1, 2017. These vary depending on whether you are applying for admission to Juilliard or a currently enrolled Juilliard student. Click here for complete instructions.

Additional items may be required after you are accepted; the Office of Financial Aid will notify you as soon as possible if this is the case.

Back to Top

Where can I send any required documents?

Any documents can be emailed to financialaid@juilliard.edu, faxed to (212) 358-2594, or mailed to us at: Office of Financial Aid, The Juilliard School, 60 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023.

Back to Top

Will I qualify for scholarship?

Because most scholarship decisions are made on the basis of financial need and artistic merit combined, it is not possible to determine eligibility until admission procedures are completed and all financial aid applications received. We encourage applicants to use the Net Price Calculator to receive an unofficial aid estimate based on their personal data.

Back to Top

Are international students eligible for financial assistance?

While international students cannot receive Federal student aid, they are eligible for Juilliard scholarship assistance. In addition, students studying under an F1 visa can take advantage of on-campus employment opportunities. If your visa status is different, you should check with the International Advisement Office for any employment limitations.

Back to Top

What can I do to make sure I receive enough financial aid?

Fill out the forms accurately, on time, and contact the Office of Financial Aid if you have any questions. We also encourage you to seek private scholarship programs and outside grant opportunities offered by your local community or religious organizations. A helpful listing of online scholarship databases can be found on our website. You should research these thoroughly, especially during the junior and senior year of high school.

Back to Top

Who makes the decisions about scholarships?

Scholarship decisions at Juilliard are made by the Juilliard Scholarship Committee, which includes: the provost and dean; the vice president for enrollment management and student development; the associate dean for admissions; the assistant dean for administration; the registrar; the director of financial aid; the assistant director of financial aid; and the artistic and/or administrative directors of dance, drama, jazz and vocal arts.

Back to Top

What factors does the committee consider?

Scholarship decisions are based on a combination of financial need and merit. "Merit" refers primarily to the strength of your audition, compared to the rest of the Juilliard applicant pool that year. We also consider academic transcripts and overall good citizenship. "Need" refers to your (and your family's) income and assets, total educational debt, availability of outside funds, and special circumstances.

Back to Top

I don't think I'll qualify for any need-based financial aid. Can I just apply for a merit scholarship?

Except for the Kovner Fellowships, all other scholarship decisions are based on a combination of both financial need and merit. As only a small percentage of students will be selected as Fellows, all students seeking scholarship assistance are strongly encouraged to complete the financial aid process to be considered.

Back to Top

I’m applying to a graduate program; do I need to submit my parents’ financial information as well as my own?

Yes. All scholarship decisions are based on financial need and merit combined. The financial strength of your family is an important consideration whether or not they will provide direct support to you during your graduate studies.

All students applying for financial aid for graduate studies must submit parent information unless they can document that they were completely self-supporting during the prior academic year, and were not claimed on their parents’ prior year tax form.

Back to Top

I am applying to a tuition-free program. What do I have to do to receive financial aid?

Students enrolled in the Artist Diploma programs in Jazz, Playwriting or String Quartet Studies are not charged tuition. Students in the Artist Diploma in Opera Studies program, the Doctor of Musical Arts program (all majors) or the Historical Performance program are charged tuition but automatically receive full-tuition scholarships. No financial aid forms are required.

However, keep in mind that there will be additional fees charged for orientation, health services, graduation, etc. Click here for a complete listing of additional fees. Students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents may apply for federal student loans to cover any additional educational or living expenses. To do so, complete a FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.

Back to Top

What if my award does not cover my full financial need to attend the School?

The Office of Financial Aid does its best to offer students a competitive award based on their merit and need. However, our budget does not enable us to meet the full financial need of all admitted students. If you feel that your financial aid award makes it impossible to enroll, please contact us to discuss additional options.

Back to Top

Can I expect the same financial aid award each year?

Students must reapply for financial aid each year. Tuition will generally increase between 4-6 percent each year. Juilliard scholarships are generally renewable at the same amount, pending availability of funding. Federal aid, such as Stafford loans and Pell grants, are based on prior year tax form information and are subject to change. In addition, students must meet satisfactory academic progress guidelines to maintain eligibility for all federal student aid. Stafford loan eligibility will increase based on grade level. Finally, because some forms of aid are limited, such as the Perkins loan and FSEOG grant, late applicants may be denied these funds.

Back to Top

I'm a continuing student. How should I reapply for aid?

Continuing students who are U.S. citizens and permanent residents will need only to complete the FAFSA. International students should complete the International Student Financial Aid Application. These forms should be submitted by May 1, 2017. Please refer to our Continuing Student page on MyJuilliard as well as our department pages for information specific to continuing students.

Back to Top

What is The Juilliard School's Federal School Code for the FAFSA?

The Juilliard School’s Federal School Code is 002742.

Back to Top

What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?*

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)* imports data from your tax return directly to your FAFSA. By using this tool, Juilliard is able to verify that the information entered on your FAFSA is correct. If you file your taxes electronically, you should be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to complete the FAFSA within 1-2 weeks after filing; data from paper tax returns will be available 6-8 weeks after filing. We highly recommend that you not change any data that is imported from your tax return onto the FAFSA. If changes are made to the data, we may ask you to submit a FAFSA correction with unchanged figures. We strongly encourage families to use this tool if possible for accurate financial aid information. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you will be required to use the DRT or request an official tax transcript from the IRS.

*Please be advised that the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is experiencing technical difficulties and is currently unavailable. The outage is expected to last through the 2017-18 academic year. Keep in mind that the deadline for continuing students is May 1; if you have not yet submitted your FAFSA, you can still do so by manually entering your 2015 tax information. If your FAFSA is selected for verification and you have questions about how to request an official tax transcript, please contact our office.

Back to Top

My financial situation is a bit unusual and I have concerns. What should I do?

Contact the Office of Financial Aid. You shouldn’t wait until after you’re admitted! You can call us at (212) 799-5000, ext. 211, or email us at financialaid@juilliard.edu.

Back to Top

Where can I find more information about Financial Aid?

Visit the Helpful Links page for important information about federal and private financial aid resources. Our Facebook page updates students on upcoming events and deadlines.

Back to Top