Frequently Asked Questions


For Financial Aid FAQ, click here.

Applications and Auditions

Visiting Juilliard

Campus Life

Residence Life

Health and Counseling Services

International Students

Applications and Auditions

How can I find out about an application and audition for The Juilliard School?
To access our online application and complete instructions, visit the Application & Audition Requirements page.

Since there are different requirements for the various departments, it is important to carefully review the requirements for the area to which you intend to apply. Auditions are never scheduled until completed applications are received and reviewed. In the Music Division, many instruments have pre-screening procedures before auditions are granted. Students are only accepted for entrance in the fall, so there is only one application and audition cycle each year.

Do I need advanced training in order to apply?
If you are interested in applying to the Dance or Music Division, you must have advanced training. The Actor Training Program in the Drama Division does not require advanced training. The Juilliard School is a conservatory offering pre-professional training in its programs for music, dance, and drama, with a highly competitive applicant pool. Only about 8 percent of our applicants are accepted (it may be more or less for an individual program); therefore, only those students who are best qualified to fill our limited spaces will be admitted. As is the case for many other colleges with competitive admissions processes, some talented and deserving students who would undoubtedly benefit from our training will not be offered a place as a result of our limited openings.

What are the Admissions dates and deadlines?
The application becomes available September 1 and is due December 1 for most programs. The Artist Diploma in Opera Studies and Playwriting applications are due November 1 and December 15, respectively. For information about when auditions will take place, please refer to the entrance audition requirements page specific to the program to which you are applying. Unfortunately, The Juilliard School does not offer spring admission.

Are there specific courses that I should be taking or standardized test scores that are required in order to qualify?
Although The Juilliard School does carefully evaluate the transcripts and diplomas earned by applicants, there are no specific courses, GPAs, or class rank required. Transcripts are reviewed to determine the general background of an applicant and essays are required to help evaluate the intellectual and scholastic aptitude of prospective students. We do not require any standardized test scores such as the SAT or ACT, except of applicants who are homeschooled. The greatest importance is placed on the required audition in which the student performs in front of Juilliard faculty.

Do I have to know someone, a teacher or administrator, in order to get admitted?
Absolutely not. One reason the audition process is so rigorous is to ensure that every applicant will be heard or seen in virtually identical settings. Auditions are attended by the faculty artists of each department or musical area. Decisions are reached by consensus of the entire department, not by the wishes of individual teachers. In fact, students are welcome to visit and/or tour the School before the audition in order to gain the greatest understanding of the opportunities available at Juilliard.

Can I major in two divisions such as Music and Drama?
No. Although a musician may qualify to major in more than one instrument if an application and audition is approved in each area, the curricular demands of each division (Dance, Drama, Music) do not allow for multiple interdisciplinary majors. Musicians should refer to the Double Major information in the Application & Audition Requirements for the appropriate degree level.

Does Juilliard provide career counseling?
Yes, Juilliard has an excellent Office of Career Services. An advisor will meet individually with students and help them assess long-term career goals. Helping students build careers with jobs that utilize strengths, interests, personality, long-term goals, values, and desired lifestyle is the goal of career development. Placement services will act as a general clearinghouse for immediate employment opportunities for students who seek temporary employment while in school or following graduation.

Does The Juilliard School offer part-time classes?
No, not within the College Division. The Juilliard School College Division programs are all full-time degree or diploma programs. Juilliard does have a Saturday Pre-College program for advanced students from ages 8-18 and an Evening Division for adult students who wish to take a courses in the evening. These courses do not reflect the full-time curriculum and are not designed to prepare students for the full-time conservatory program.

Are admissions requirements different for home-schooled students?
The Juilliard School recognizes home schooling as a viable educational alternative; however, there are important and explicit regulations governing acceptable documentation. Home-schooled applicants are expected to complete thefalseon the online application, provide a homeschooling transcript, and standardized test scores. Be sure to carefully review the requirements in the appropriate Application and Audition Requirements for your Division. Juilliard reserves the right to rescind admission to any applicant whose file documentation is deemed insufficient and/or incomplete

What is your policy on the submission of supplemental materials including CDs?
We request that the submission of supplemental materials be submitted in accordance with the mailing instructions on the online application. Pre-screening materials, however, must be uploaded online via acceptd.

Does Juilliard have a minimum GPA?
Although The Juilliard School does carefully evaluate the transcripts and diplomas earned by applicants, there are no specific courses, GPAs, or class rank required. Transcripts are reviewed to ascertain scholastic competence sufficient to succeed in course work at the college level, and an essay is required to help evaluate the intellectual and scholastic aptitude of prospective students. Although greatest importance is placed on the required audition in which the student performs in front of Juilliard faculty, these other elements of the application are critical in evaluation for admission

Visiting Juilliard

How do I arrange a campus tour?
Tours are given once a day at 11:45 Monday through Friday during the school year and Monday through Thursday during the summer months. Reservations are necessary and can be made roughly a month in advance. This can be done through our online tour calendar. If you are unable to secure a place on the tour, you are welcome to stop by the admissions office to pick up literature. Please be aware that the school is closed to visitors unless they are on a scheduled tour.

Do I need to make an appointment to attend a tour?
Yes, appointments are necessary as there is a limited amount of space on tours of The Juilliard School.

What will I see on the tour?
Visitors on the scheduled tour will see: recital space, practice rooms, dance studios, the drama theater, classrooms, and will be walked through the Juilliard building.

Does Juilliard attend College Fairs off campus?
Yes, Juilliard does attend college fairs throughout the U.S.

How do I arrange to have a prospective student lesson/class visit?
For Dance Students: Regularly scheduled dance technique classes may be open to observation by advance appointment only. Please contact danceadmissions@juilliard.edu to request a class observation. Please note, guests are not permitted to participate in class. Due to various limitations we ask that class observation requests be limited to students who are planning to apply to the college Dance Division or Summer Dance Intensive within the next two years (i.e., prospective students ages 13 and up). Parents, guardians, or dance teachers are welcome to accompany prospective students during the class observation, but please limit the group to no more than 3 persons due to space limitations within the dance studio.

For Drama Students: Due to the nature of the Drama Division curriculum and class structure, it is not possible for guests to observe classes. However we welcome prospective students to attend Drama Division performances. Please contact the Drama Division at (212) 799-5000, ext. 251 to ask about performances that are open to the public. Many Drama Division performances are free of charge but do require advance tickets/reservations.

For Music Students: If you are interested in having a prospective student lesson with one of our faculty members, we suggest that you read our faculty members’ biographies. The Office of Admissions is permitted to give contact information for the purpose of setting up lessons for up to four faculty members. Please select the faculty members you wish to contact carefully and then feel free to contact Admissions at (212) 799-5000, ext. 223, or e-mail musicadmissions@juilliard.edu. Please be aware that our faculty members have demanding schedules, which include teaching, performing, adjudicating music competitions, conducting master classes, etc. We appreciate your understanding and patience. Rates for lessons are determined by faculty members.

Do I need to schedule an interview with an admissions representative?
No. The Juilliard School does not require interviews for admission, except when part of the audition callback process (please refer to the entrance audition requirements for the program to which you plan on applying). If, after carefully reviewing the website, you have any specific questions, you may email the appropriate address for your intended major (either danceadmissions@juilliard.edu, dramaadmissions@juilliard.edu, or musicadmissions@juilliard.edu) or call the Admissions Office at (212) 799-5000, ext. 223, to make an appointment with a representative in your area of interest.

Campus Life

Do I have to attend orientation?
Yes, orientation is required of all new students.

What happens during new student orientation and registration?
Orientation is an opportunity for new students to meet each other as well as staff, faculty members, and returning student leaders. During this time, new students become acquainted with Juilliard and New York City. Workshops and presentations address topics such as safety, diversity, health, financial aid, and student life at Juilliard. Evening socials and outings throughout the 5 boroughs of New York City allow new students to familiarize themselves with our public transportation system and different neighborhoods. Students also take placement exams, register for courses, and attend departmental meetings.

What extracurricular activities are available within the Juilliard community?
The Office of Student Affairs works with students to maintain a calendar of events that range from social dances to alcohol awareness events and cultural heritage celebrations. Students also have the opportunity to hold student leadership positions.

What clubs and organizations are available at Juilliard?
There are a variety of student-run organizations at Juilliard relating to community service, spirituality, non-classical music and other forms of art. Students may start an organization of shared interest by completing a registration process and providing a mission statement to the Office of Student Affairs. These organizations are also responsible for handling membership, submitting a budget proposal, and the name of a staff advisor. Students also have the opportunity to become involved in Juilliard Student Council.

Where can I find out about safety on the Juilliard campus?
We understand that safety is an important concern for our students and their families. Further information and statistics are provided by our Office of Student Affairs by clicking here.

Residence Life

What are the general living arrangements in the residence hall?
Juilliard students are housed in suites in the residence hall. Each suite consists of:

  • Five bedrooms (three doubles and two singles)
  • 2-1/2 bathrooms
  • A large living room

The double rooms are equipped with:

  • Two loft beds
  • Two desks with bookshelf and study lamp attachments
  • Two three-drawer chests with a two-shelf cabinet attachment
  • A small closet for each resident

The single room is equipped with the same furnishings, except the bed has no loft.

How is my roommate determined?
The housing application for admitted students asks very specific questions about your interests, habits, and lifestyle, as well as the attributes you feel are important in your roommate. The School reviews this information carefully in order to match you with a compatible roommate.

An effort is made to house first-time college students together. Once your roommate assignment has been made, you will be given the individual's name, address, and telephone number so that you can contact him or her prior to your arrival.

As a Juilliard student, am I required to live in the residence hall?
All first-time college students are required to live in the residence hall. However, on-campus housing is not guaranteed for all four years.

Are there practice areas in the residence hall?
Most floors are equipped with two soundproof practice rooms containing Steinway L pianos.

What other types of facilities and services are available in the residence hall?
The lobby floor of the residence hall contains:

  • A lounge area (with color television and a billiard table)
  • A community kitchen
  • Vending machines
  • A quiet study lounge
  • A laundry room

A fitness center is located on the 22nd floor in the Residence Hall. A 24 hour computer lab is located on the 19th floor. A cable television and a campus phone are provided in each suite. Students may arrange for individual phone service in their rooms.

Is the residence hall a safe and secure place?
The Juilliard residence hall is located in one of the most desirable Manhattan neighborhoods. Lincoln Center security personnel screen visitors at the building entrances 24 hours a day. An electronic surveillance system is employed at the entry of the residence hall, and no one may enter the hall without an access card.

What about meals for resident students?
The total cost of on-campus living includes a meal plan. Resident students may choose one of three meal plan options. These allow resident students the flexibility of choosing the meal plan that best suits their individual eating habits and daily/weekly schedules. The cafeteria is located on the plaza level of the building that houses the residence hall.

Are single rooms available for new students?
First-time college students are always assigned to a double room. A new student with a documented disability should request special accommodations.

Can you suggest some items that I should take with me?
Be sure to bring linens and a pillow for your bed; twin-size, extra-long sheets will fit perfectly. Also bring towels and a laundry bag/basket. Stereos, televisions, computers, and wall hangings are optional. You can rent refrigerators through the Office of Residence Life, or you may bring your own.

Health and Counseling Services

Who can use Health and Counseling Services?
Any full-time student or intern enrolled at Juilliard is entitled to use the services available through Student Health Services.

What about health insurance?
The student insurance covers accident and sickness only. It does not cover eye care or dental care. All full-time students and interns are covered by the basic plan as part of their tuition. If a student does not have sufficient outside coverage, he or she may also be covered by a supplemental policy, which is mailed to each student directly.

What happens if I have a medical emergency?
If you have an emergency on the campus during office hours, you will be seen and treated immediately. If necessary, you may be referred to the nearest hospital emergency room.

International Students

What type of visa do I need in order to study in the United States?
International students will need either an F-1 visa or a J-1 visa.

How do I obtain an F-1 visa?
You will need to first obtain Form I-20 from Juilliard’s Office of International Advisement. You will then submit the following documents to the American Embassy/Consulate nearest you: Form I-20, visa application (DS-160), visa fee, valid passport, evidence of sufficient funds, Juilliard acceptance letter, SEVIS fee receipt, and two U.S. passport-size photographs. Note that visa application procedures vary slightly from country to country. Please visit the United States Department of State for the most updated information.

What is the Form I-20?

Form I-20 is a 'Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status.' To obtain one, you will first need to complete the Office of International Advisement’s (OIA) online request form.  Upon submission, OIA will email you a list of additional documents to be submitted via email.  Possible required documents include:

  • Passport copy
  • Proof of funding (bank statements, scholarship letters, or proof of approved loans) 
    Students must prove they have funds readily available to meet all expenses for the first year of study, and that adequate funds will be available for each subsequent year of study. 
  • Financial Statement Support Letter (if applicable)
  • SEVIS Transfer Form (if applicable)
    Students in active F-1 or J-1 status are eligible to transfer their SEVIS records to Juilliard.

After Juilliard receives all required documents, your Form I-20 will be mailed to you.

As an international student, can I work in the U.S.?
You are eligible to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week when school is in session. Students are not eligible to work off-campus (paid or unpaid) until they have been enrolled full-time for one academic year at Juilliard or another U.S. college, university, or conservatory.  After one full academic year, international students are eligible to work off-campus, in their field of study, once they receive written work permission from OIA.

How can I find housing in New York City?
International students may apply for on-campus housing through the School's Office of Residence Life. You may also consider International House (I-House) as an alternative. I-House is located near Columbia University and is just 10 to 15 minutes from Juilliard by subway. For detailed information, contact I-House at (212) 316-8436 or visit its Web site at www.ihouse-nyc.org.


Related Links

Check out the Student Life page in the College Division section for more details

For an in-person tour of the Juilliard campus, please fill out our online tour reservation form. Or take a Virtual Tour of Juilliard.

To find our campus, see Directions to Juilliard

Related Links

Check out the Student Life page in the College Division section for more details

For an in-person tour of the Juilliard campus, please fill out our online tour reservation form. Or take a Virtual Tour of Juilliard.

To find our campus, see Directions to Juilliard